Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday Sweets: And All Was Well

Sunday, July 17, 2011

With the final Harry Potter movie opening this weekend, we've come at last to the final chapter (zing!) in a long, beautiful friendship. Assuming your friends like to make movies messing with your favorite books, I mean. (Do NOT get John started, guys. Just...don't.)

Ahem.

So, fellow fans, feast your eyes on some of the best Potter Sweets ever to grace our Muggle coil!

Submitted by Lee F. and made by Beryl Byrd

I like the way the moon and clouds are supported by thin wires - such a great background touch.


It doesn't get much more classic than this:

By Debbie Does Cakes

The aging on the book pages is *perfect*.


While I admit the movie's Sorting Hat is kind of creepy, most of the cakes I've seen tend to make him look like he wants to eat your brains. This one strikes the perfect balance, though:


A hat tip to the baker!


There's more to this next one than meets the eye:

By Deb Kichline

This cake was motorized, y'all, with the top branch rotating so the snitches flew in circles!

It also had a custom cake stand with hidden speakers that played the movie's theme song. WOW. Hit the link above for more pics and details.


Here's a fun LEGO version of Harry:

Submitted by Hannah A. and made by Dream Day Cakes

Perfection.


And check out this adorable little Hedwig:

By Lisa's Cakes

That must be one cool Granny. Love it.


Hagrid also got a squee-worthy makeover:

Submitted by Maggie B. and made by her friend, Lydia B.

He even has his pink umbrella!! LOVE.


Hagrid's house here looks like a scale model, complete with Buckbeak in the yard:

Made by Mollie and found via

Forget eating it; I want this displayed in my office!


Here's another amazing Potter cake:

By Yuma Couture Cakes

Hm, can a cake be a horcrux? The symbol is the sign of the Deathly Hallows, there's a howler letter, Harry's wand, and check out the crazy detail in the basilisk fang:



And now, some oh-so-adorable cupcakes:


See the cauldron with the spitting flames? I want that one.


Yeesh. Would you believe I'm only halfway through my Potter Sweets? Well, you know what that means: double feature! So tune in next week for more, and if you made a Sweets-worthy Potter cake this weekend, be sure to send it to Sunday Sweets [at] Cake Wrecks [dot] com.
Anne-with-an-e said...

I have to admit I've (yet?) to get into Harry Potter, but even this muggle thinks these are great. I really like the Lego Harry Potter one. What a great idea for converting things into a more regular rectangular cake shape for easier baking and decorating - and so much better than the CCC attempts out there.

Anonymous said...

You had me tearing up.I am so honored to share a birthday with Mr. Potter.
-Sarah

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was a QUICK fix! :D

Carmiehead, the Un-Stalker

john (the hubby of Jen) said...

Bwoops.

Jen asked me what was on top of the horcrux cake while we were driving and I totally blew it. I think I was assuming it was all from DH and I don't remember a howler in that book.

-10 geek points for me.

:(

Thanks to the 8 people who let me know and Wreck On!

(can I say that on Sunday?)

john

Elizabeth said...

What's the symbol on the right of the Deathly Hallows cake? I made some steampunk-lite Deathly hallows jewelry for the premiere, but I don't remember that symbol at all!

Recipes In Review said...

I love Harry Potter and all of those cakes were just amazing.

My favorites, the Hedwig cake and Hagrid's house. Those seemed just perfect.

Jackie

Tara said...

this is a great conclusion to the books. i just started reading them and getting into the series, but i have to tell you, i'm hooked. great cakes! :)

x Tara
greeneyedopinions.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I am totally with John. There wasn't a single good James Bond movie after "Doctor No". "Ciderhouse Rules" was a good attempt, but that had the author doing the screenplay.

Generally, if I have read it I don't go to see the movie.

Jamie said...

@ Jill, it was a rune I found on a Harry Potter fan site, supposedly from a rune sheet from another book by Rowling perhaps? Not sure, I am looking for it again, as I didn't save my links from the internet. Hopefully, it's not a rune that doesn't fit the story.

Laura G. said...

I think the cupcake with the Hogwarts crest on it is emblazoned with the Hogwarts motto, "Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus" ("Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon"). That's pretty awesome.

jj said...

Want cupcakes...

And part of me is unwilling to believe that's not a *real* basilisk fang.

tiny p elephant said...

the cupcakes are fantastic!

Kisa 'Yuki' J. said...

These are adorable! Even though I'm not a Harry Potter fan (the books I mean, I've watched a couple of movies and they weren't bad). I love seeing well done cakes.

Absolutely LOVE the Lego Harry!

The Mauermans said...

I agree completely with John. I hate when they make books I love into movies. First, because there's too much change from the way things actually went and second because I have the characters just right in my head and they rarely match the actors that get picked to play the parts.

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

I think this may be my all-time favourite Sunday sweets. Can't wait until the second edition!

Mags said...

THANKS so much for featuring my friend, Lydia's awesome HAGRID Cake! She was so excited when I called her to tell her you put it on the blog! Isn't that crazy-talented?!!!
:) Mags / MagsGraphics

Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...

I love these! So cute and imaginative. :D Looking forward to your 2nd edition.

Jan said...

That is the cutest Hedwig ever, and I could never bring myself to eat the one of Hagrid's house; it's just too beautiful! Great selection.

Mal said...

They're all so wonderful! I can't even choose a favorite

http://chicgeekery.blogspot.com/

Ginevra said...

I can't believe there are no more Harry Potter books or movies to look forward to! Did anyone else go to the midnight premier/
Those cakes are beautiful! I especially love the cupcakes.
BTW, Jen...you like Harry Potter, right? Well there are these two hilarious musicals made by Starkid Potter. I hope you like them! Here's a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmwM_AKeMCk

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, John, we know you were so distressed from the movie viewing you couldn't think straight! ;)

who said that's not a real basilisk fang?? LOL

Hagrid's house is crazy good and the Hedwigs are precious.

-Barbara Anne

Jamie said...

Wow, these are amazing. I think I shed a tear when I saw Hagrid's hut and the pumpkin patch. Guess I know what I want my baby shower theme to be. (No baby butts here, thank you very much!)

Anonymous said...

Remind John that Joanna Rowling herself oversaw ever film,to prevent americanisation or Disney takeover.So if the movies were good enough for her!...

Tara said...

Here's a question about all those Sunday Sweets. How on earth can anyone possibly eat a cake that is so well done (and obviously expensive)?

Anonymous said...

Thank Dumbledore you gave us HP for these Sweets. These were all great, but those cupcakes were so perfect my mouth dropped open. Freaking' wow!

Anonymous said...

AH, that scale cake of Hagrid's hut is PERFECTION!

And the Hedwig cake? Adorable! i love Hedwig!

The cupcakes=WANT!!!

Fantastic sweets! I think Ms. Rowling would be very pleased!

Anonymous said...

The howler on top hhe the "deathly hallows" cake was from book 2, the first line is about stealing the car (the howler mrs. Weasley sent to Ron)

Anonymous said...

I adore all of these. Long live Harry Potter!!
*ahem*

Stephanie said...

Ok, I'll take one of each.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with John. Also, I don't really think cake would make a great Horcrux for two reasons: 1) The cake would probably get eaten or decay (Unless it was made by a wreckorator. Then it would just sit arround and collect dust.) and 2) Killing someone when there's cake nearby isn't very nice. The poor cake is likely to be traumatized. JK... Rowling! ;P

-Μαρία Βάγκνερ, who hopes to celebrate the 23st of Jluy by finishing reading the Harry Potter series for the 23nd time.

archersangel said...

i like the acceptance letter with the hagrid cake. and being the nit-picker that i am, i must point out that the howler on the deathly hallows cake is from the second book/movie. if you look closely you can see a reference to harry & ron taking the flying car.

Megan said...

the symbol is the deathly hallows symbol (line= elder wand, circle= resurection stone, triangle= invisability cloak). The letter on top WAS a howler, if you read the little print it quotes the letter with mentions of "stealing that car" and being "absolutely disgusted." Weird because that's from the second one :P

All of these cakes are beyond fabulous (I can't pick a favorite!) My future husband will be totes annoyed because I will try to sneak Snape's quote on my wedding cake! (Always <3)

BUT

Anyone notice that the Hogwarts express cupcake bears platform 9 1/2????

Good thing it's cute :)

Anonymous said...

I noticed the adorable cupcakes are in Portuguese, and the ticket says it is for Platform 9 and 1/2. Can anyone confirm if the Portuguese translation changed the Platform number?

R2P2 said...

Ohmy, I fell in love with those cupcakes. Darling!!

Haiku Joy said...

These are horcrux cakes.
They have a piece of my soul . . .
and someone's wallet.

Sariah said...

These. Were. AWESOME. I can't wait to see more!! (I'm also getting ideas because I want to throw a Harry Potter themed party for my son. If no one is going to throw me one, I guess I have to do it for someone else! heh)

Also, I would LOVE to hear John's take on the movie. Seriously. What a great discussion *that* would be.

Okay, I'm going to go look at the Sunday Sweets again. ~Happy sigh.~

Jamie said...

The cake wasn't Deathly Hallows themed, it was a collection of all sorts of Harry Potter stuff. Bertie Bots beans, Gringott's coins (gold and silver), a Slytherin scarf, and the obvious things you see in the picture. Glad everyone likes it!

Arlene said...

Wow I want all the cup cakes just to stare at them. Cute! I haven't seen most of the movies so I don't know what I missed out on but these cakes are too adorable to eat!

Naan said...

Oh wow, that first one... Awesome! The rest is pretty amazing to, but #1 is so great.

wagthedad said...

I am speechless.

Marci said...

I am with everyone about books turned into movies! I barely watched the first Harry Potter movie. The very sad part of my life is that I have a 12 and 10 year old boys that won't read the books!

Gareth said...

Love the Harry Potter cakes! Wonder what they tasted like though? An aftertaste of newt perhaps?

Darla said...

That basilisk fang creeps me out.

I loveloveloveloveloveloveLOVE cutie Hagrid!! Love.

And since you totally called the cauldron cupcake, I call the one with the teeny tiny Bertie Bott's beans!

So happy you're doing a HP double feature...can't wait to see the next round!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I think the 'best concept' award has to go to the Hagrid/acceptance letter cake, though. What better for an 11th birthday?

flying gargoyle said...

I am especially astonished by the detail work on the books & parchment in so many of these cakes. How is it possible that these are cake? And who knew that Hagrid could look so huggably adorable? I want a stuffed Hagrid that looks just like that! Thanks for the H.P. collection.

Anonymous said...

Yes, please, I WANT to get John started!! I do enjoy the movies, but I'm seriously grateful it's been four years or so (if that's even possible) since I read HP7, because even then I had "issues" at the theatre. And I'm not somebody who anybody dares go see movies with!!!

Word Verification: eprot (I'm NOT making that up. I cannot believe that's my WV!!!
What happens when a wreckerator tries to make Jen's Epbot robot.

Crescent Moon said...

For the person who was wondering about the symbol on the Deathly Hallows cake, it is the "deathly hallows".
There are 3 hallowed object, the cape of invisibility (the triangle), the resurrection stone (the circle), and the wand (the straight line).

Chanda said...

I think this is my fave entry---although it didn't make me laugh nearly as much as the others. I'm so sad that Harry Potter is over...after the books I looked forward to the movies...now I'll be looking forward to next week's Sweets...Love that sorting hat cake and the little Hedwig...adorable!

(And I won't get started on the...misrepresentation of things in the movie either. I'll just rant under my breath every time I watch them with my hubby...)

MaybeCakes said...

These are amazing!! Thanks so much for posting them.

B.J. said...

I want those cupcakes!!!!!!! Too adorable!

Anonymous said...

Crescent-
No one was wondering about that one. We all clearly know what the symbol for tye Deathly Hallows is. It's the OTHER rune that we're trying to figure out :)

Anonymous said...

ATTENTION EVERYONE!!!

The symbol on the RIGHT of the Deathly Hallows cake is the alchemical symbol for the Philosopher's Stone.

-zacharyK

KatzenMama said...

Hey there, John (hubby of Jen),

You weren't wrong about the horcrux? cake...you didn't say that the cake was entirely from DH. You only said the symbols were from DH, and asked if a cake could be a horcrux. The basilisk fang is also from another book, so there were several books featured on that cake.

I've gotta ask...what ARE the main parts of the cake supposed to be...wheels of cheese? Teak salad bowls? I really can't figure it out.

Also, not to be a party pooper (ha ha, I said poop), but the sorting hat on the second cake kinda looks like a tall, creepy pile of poop with a face. Perhaps if it had been a lighter color, like a tan.

@Yuki J - the first HP book is actually pretty poorly written (perhaps the British version is better than the American version?) but the writing does improve with each book. You have to remember that Rowling's children were much younger when the first book came out, so it was written for young children. As Harry (and her children) grew older, the books were written for increasingly older audiences. By the time he was in high-school the the books were written on more of a high-school reading level.

Leslie said...

I don't think that cauldron is bubbling flames. I think it's supposed to be Felix Felicis. But it is cute.

Tee said...

These are AMAZING!

Puck said...

Yes, the Howler was from the second book, but you must remember that the horcruxes are throughout most of the books, not just the last one. All the cakes were awesome. I'm sad that HP books and movies are over, but they will still live on!

Anonymous said...

Oh my god oh my god!!!!!!! I want those so badly!! I am such a huge Harry Potter fan!